This recipe is from the Momofuku Milk Bar cookbook by Christina Tosi. I've never chosen this cookie at Milk Bar. A cookie made with a vegetable...hmm...I'm not sure. I had to try it at home, and with My Perfect Cookie.
You will need freeze-dried corn. Yes, another camping food ingredient (see my banana cookie recipes). Warning, take the silica packet out before pouring all the corn into the food processor. You may blitz it all, by accident, and wonder where all the paper came from.
The dough worked really well in My Perfect Cookie. My home smelled like cream corn. After taking the cookies out of the oven, I pushed in some candy corn on the cookies to accessorize. The cookies are delicious...they are light and crispy with a hint of corn flavour. Maybe a couple of these cookies count as a serving of vegetable?
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 2/3 cup freeze-dried corn powder *
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
* Use food processor to make freeze-dried corn into powder.
- In your mixer (with paddle attachment), combine the butter and sugar on low speed until smooth (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add the egg to the mixer. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, corn flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually, mix the dry ingredients with the creamed ingredients, in the mixer on low speed.
- Once the ingredients are combined, gradually add the freeze-dried corn powder. Mix on low until combined throughout.
- Follow instructions for My Perfect Cookie. Feed a small amount of dough into the shaper tube at a time, before tamping with the stick.
- After the logs have chilled in the storage tubes for a minimum of 3 hours, take them out of the tubes.
- Slice the log into 1/2” thick cookies.
- Place the cookies on parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. These cookies spread so best to leave at least 2" between cookies.
- Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes.
- Take the cookies out of the oven and press candy corn into each cookie.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to wire racks.
Leave a comment