These are not Irish but they are made with Lucky Charms® (cereal only). I know Lucky Charms® is not Irish but I'm trying to stay with the St. Patrick's Day theme here.
I love malted milkshakes. They are hard to find! No longer...as I have it in a cookie. I used Ovaltine malted milk powder and the original Ovaltine in this cookie.
You can use the pan-banging method with this recipe. This cookie is crispy, and delicious!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp Ovaltine powder
- 2 tbsp Ovaltine Malted Milk powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups Lucky Charms® cereal (no marshmallows)
- 1/2 cup mini milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup plain marshmallows + more to decorate (mini or mini freeze dried)
- Gold sanding sugar / gold dust
- In your mixer (with paddle attachment), combine the butter and sugars, on low speed, until smooth (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add vanilla and eggs to the mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, two Ovaltine powders, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually, mix these dry ingredients with the creamed mixture, with the mixer on low speed.
- Add cereal and chocolate chips. Mix.
- Add the marshmallows and mix by hand until mixed throughout the dough.
- Follow instructions for My Perfect Cookie. This dough is slightly sticky. Feed a small amount of dough into the shaper tube at a time, before tamping with the stick.
- After the logs have chilled in the storage tubes for a minimum of 3 hours, take them out of the tubes.
- Slice the log into 1/2” thick cookies.
- Sprinkle the top of the cookies with gold sanding sugar and place the cookies on parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Put some chocolate chunks and additional marshmallows. These cookies spread so best to leave at least 2" between cookies. Best to have 6 cookies per sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 11 minutes. These cookies can be "pan banged" for a crispy edge. Bang at 8 minutes and return to the oven for another 3 minutes.
- After baking, decorate with more gold sanding sugar. Let cool. Once cooled, brush some edible gold dust for extra Irish luck!