These are My Perfect Cookie, and Italy's, version of the Neopolitan cookie. The classic and favourite Italian flavours of Maraschino 🍒cherry, Sicilian pistachio and chocolate, are combined into one.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Maraschino cherries, roughly chopped (no liquid)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped Sicilian pistachios or regular pistachios, unsalted
- pink and green gel food colouring
- cherry flavouring (optional)
- pistachio flavouring (optional)
- In your mixer (with paddle attachment), combine the butter and sugar, on low speed, until smooth (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add vanilla and egg to the mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and salt.
- Gradually, mix these dry ingredients with the creamed mixture, with the mixer on low speed.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal parts and keep separate.
- Mix the maraschino cherries with the first part. Add 1/8 tsp of the gel pink food colouring. Mix. Decide to add more colouring after you have mixed thoroughly. Add a small amount as the gel really colours and spreads. Add flavouring at this point, if using.
- Mix the pistachio to the second dough. Add 1/8 tsp of the gel green food colouring. Mix. Decide to add more colouring after you have mixed thorough. Add a small amount as the gel really colours and spreads. Add flavouring at this point, if using.
- Mix the cocoa to the third dough. Mix thoroughly.
- Follow instructions for My Perfect Cookie. Take a small piece of each flavour and put in the tube. Push down. Repeat.
- After the logs have chilled for a minimum of 3 hours, take them out of the tubes.
- Slice the log into 1/4” thick cookies. Remember to roll the log about 1/8 after each slice to prevent the log from flattening from the weight of the knife. Keeps the cookies round with each slice. Each cookie will have some chocolate, cherry and pistachio, and each will be different.
- Place the cookies on parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Leave about 1” between cookies.
- Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to wire racks.
Leave a comment