This is a Chocolate Cookie with Caramelized White Chocolate Chunks. They are so delicious, you won't be able to stop. If you like Devil's Food Cake, you'll LOVE this cookie. It's even more intense.
This recipe is inspired by Edd Kimber, The Boy Who Bakes. This recipe introduced me to black cocoa and caramelized white chocolate, two luxury ingredients. I love it. Dark cocoa can be substituted for black cocoa as black cocoa is often difficult to find. Caramelized white chocolate, you can make it (you'll see on YouTube...it takes dedication!), or you can buy it (Valrhona is the brand I use).
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup rye flour (substitute with all-purpose if not available)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup black cocoa (or dark cocoa)
- 1 cup caramelized white chocolate, cut in small chunks
- In your mixer (with paddle attachment), combine the butter and sugars on low speed until smooth (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add the vanilla to the mixer. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, and salt, and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually, mix the dry ingredients with the creamed ingredients, in the mixer on low speed.
- Once the ingredients are combined, gradually add the cocoa. Mix on low until combined throughout. The black cocoa is very dark. Then, add the caramelized white chocolate.
- Follow instructions for My Perfect Cookie.
- After the dough logs have chilled for a minimum of 3 hours, take out of the tubes. Leave out for 15 - 20 minutes before slicing.
- Slice the log into 1/4” or 3/8" thick cookies. Remember to roll the log about 1/8 of a turn after each slice to prevent the log from flattening from the weight of the knife. Keeps the cookies round at each slice.
- Place the cookies on parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet. Leave about 1”-2" between cookies. The cookies do spread.
- Bake in a 325 degree Fahrenheit oven for 12-14 minutes. It will be difficult to gauge if the cookies are ready because they are so dark. Take the cookies out at 12 minutes.
- Leave cookies to cool on baking sheet.