Chocolate Banana Walnut
If you think this flavour combination sounds familiar, you must thank Ben & Jerry's. Chunky Monkey (trademarked, too bad) best describes this flavour.
I recently discovered freeze dried bananas. They work really well with My Perfect Cookie recipes. I did try using a fresh ripe banana (1) in this recipe. It was great but the cookie was more cake-like and not crisp. Finding freeze dried bananas may not be easy but when you do find them, you can keep them for 25 years in an air-tight container. Yes, it is camping food.
I have listed banana extract in this recipe only. There are a lot of flavours and textures in this cookie and the banana flavour needs to rise a little more. It is optional.
- 1 1/2 stick (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup crushed freeze dried banana
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp banana extract (optional)
- In your mixer (with paddle attachment), combine the butter and sugars on low speed until smooth (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add the egg and vanilla to the mixer. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, baking soda, and salt, and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually, mix the dry ingredients with the creamed ingredients, in the mixer on low speed.
- Once the ingredients are combined, gradually add the crushed freeze dried banana, walnut pieces and milk chocolate chips. Mix on low until combined throughout.
- Follow instructions for My Perfect Cookie.
- After the dough logs have chilled for a minimum of 3 hours, take out of the tubes.
- Slice the log into 1/2” thick cookies. Remember to roll the log about 1/8 of a turn after each slice to prevent the log from flattening from the weight of the knife. Keeps the cookies round at each slice.
- Place the cookies on parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet. Leave about 1 1/2” between cookies. The cookies do spread.
- Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 13 minutes. Cookies should be slightly brown.
- Take the cookies out of the oven. At this point, you can decorate with banana chips. Press into the soft cookies.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to wire racks.