These cookies are as fun to make as they are to eat. There is tequila inside and outside. Be careful, you will feel a buzz after a few of these cookies. A child-friendly version can be made without tequila. Substitute with lime extract (see below recipe).
I use Casamigos Tequila, also known as the George Clooney brand. I'd like to think he'd approve of these cookies.
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanila
- 3 tbsp tequila (substitute with 1 tsp lime extract for non-alcoholic)
- Zest of 2 limes (appx 2 tbsp)
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- egg wash / white sanding sugar / coarse kosher salt for edge
For the icing:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp tequila (omit for non-alcoholic; add more fresh lime juice)
- Juice of 1 - 2 limes
- In your mixer (with paddle attachment), combine the butter and sugar on low speed until smooth (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add the vanilla, tequila, and lime zest to the mixer. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, corn starch, and salt, and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually, mix the dry ingredients with the creamed ingredients, in the mixer on low speed.
- Follow instructions for My Perfect Cookie. Feed a small amount of dough into the shaper tube at a time, before tamping with the stick.
- After the logs have chilled in the storage tubes for a minimum of 3 hours, take them out of the tubes.
- Brush the logs with egg wash and roll over mix of sanding sugar and coarse kosher salt. 3 to 1 ratio of sugar to salt is recommended.
- Slice the log into 1/4” thick cookies.
- Place the cookies on parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. These cookies spread slightly so best to leave at least 1" to 2" between cookies.
- Bake in a 325 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 minutes. Cookies should not get too brown / dark.
- Take the cookies out of the oven and let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to wire racks.
- Prepare the icing by combining the icing sugar, tequila, and lime juice to make a liquid paste.
- Pour the icing into a squeeze bottle.
- Make sure cookies have cooled. "Draw" over all the cookies with the icing...go Jackson Pollock on them.
- Zest more lime over the cookies.